Working with Subrecipients
The following is a quick overview of the steps that principal investigators (PIs) need to take at the proposal and award stages to involve one or more subrecipients in a sponsored project at UC Berkeley.
1. The PI should ask each potential subrecipient to complete a UCB Subrecipient Commitment Form. This must be submitted to SPO at the proposal stage. The information will be considered valid for 12 months from the date of the form is signed by the subrecipient’s authorized official.
2. Include the following subrecipient documents as part of your proposal to the sponsor.
Proposals will not be endorsed by institutional officials at UC Berkeley until these elements are on file.
- Subrecipient’s Statement of Work (SOW), including a clear description of the work to be performed, the proposed timelines and deliverables, biosketches of subrecipient key personnel, etc.
- Subrecipient’s Budget and Budget Justification, including the subrecipient’s direct and indirect costs, calculated using the subrecipient’s approved facilities and administrative (F&A) and fringe benefit rates, and verifying any committed cost sharing.
3. If the prime is a contract, you must include:
- A Fair and Reasonable Cost Analysis and Sole Source Justification: Subawards Under Contracts form, signed by UC Berkeley’s PI. The PI must select a subrecipient based upon his/her assessment of the potential subrecipient’s ability to perform the research work successfully. This includes an analysis of the subrecipient’s past performance, technical resources and financial viability, and an assessment of the reasonableness of the subrecipient’s proposed costs in light of the work to be performed. To meet audit requirements, UC Berkeleyis required to retain documentation of this latter assessment for subawards proposed under a contract. PIs are responsible for documenting this assessment via completion and submission of the Fair and Reasonable Cost Analysis for each proposed subrecipient.
Any exceptions to the requirements outlined above should be discussed with Sponsored Projects Office staff. If appropriate and acceptable documentation is not provided in a timely manner, UC Berkeley may be unable to endorse and submit the proposal.
1. Submit a Request for Subaward and Request to Amend Existing Subaward to the following email address: email@example.com. Note incomplete request forms will be returned to the PI and will delay processing of subagreement/s.
2. If the PI has financial interest in the subrecipient, the PI must complete Form 700-U Statement of Economic Interests and Form 700-UA Addendum to Statement of Economic Interests, unless already submitted at the proposal stage.
3. If the Berkeley PI needs to change the subrecipient’s scope of work or budget submitted with the proposal, the PI should first discuss this with the subrecipient and make sure the subrecipient agrees with the changes. If this has not been worked out before SPO gets involved, a great deal of time will be wasted.
4. If more than 12 months have passed since the subrecipient’s authorized official signed the UCB Subrecipient Commitment Form, please ask the subrecipient to review and update the form; then forward the updated form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please consult the UC Berkeley Subaward Guide for detailed answers to a variety of frequently asked questions about working with subrecipients.
UC Berkeley Subaward Guide Contents:
- What is a subaward?
- Is a subrecipient form needed when proposing a subaward with another UC campus?
- Who is responsible for monitoring a subrecipient?
- Preaward stage by task/responsibility
- Award stage by task/responsibility
- Subaward monitoring stage by task/responsibility
- When does the monitoring of subrecipients begin?
- Why is a Subrecipient Commitment Form needed before an award is issued?
- How is the Subrecipient Commitment Form used?
- What other subaward documents are required at the proposal stage?
- What actions are required for subawards at the proposal stage?
- After an award is made, how is a subaward established?
- Facilitating subagreements
- What is required if the PI wants to provide a subrecipient with one or more advance payment/s?
- Subrecipient monitoring
- How can a subaward be changed/amended?
- How is a subaward closed out?