The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) at the University of California, Berkeley is responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. SPO prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. SPO also provides resources for finding funding opportunities.
Key Policies and Procedures
- UCB Policy on Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards through SPO/IAO
- VCR Five Day Proposal Submission Policy Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic routing and approval of campus proposals using Phoebe
- John F. Hartwig, Chemistry, $2,198,736, NIGMS, “Mechanism and Development of Catalysis for the Synthesis of Amines, Ethers, and S”
- James Hurley, QB3, $1,764,657, NIAID, “Biochemical and Structural Mechanisms of HIV-1 Budding and Release”
- Thomas Dickinson Bruns, Plant and Microbial Biology, $1,445,238, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, “Berkeley Indoor Microbial Ecology Research Center (BIMERC)”
- Stuart J. Russell, EECS, $1,369,735, Charles River Analytics, “Probabilistic Programming for Advancing Machine Learning (PPAML)”
- Andrew Dillin, MCB, $1,034,100, CIRM, “A Requirement for Protein Homeostasis in the Mediation of Stem Cell Health”
- Vladimir Stojanovic, EECS, $935,859, MIT, “Memory System with Monolithic CMOS Photonic Networks for High-Performance, Energy-Efficient Embedded Manycore Machines”
Sponsored activities with industry and incoming Material Transfer Agreements are managed by IPIRA.