The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) at the University of California, Berkeley is responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. SPO prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. SPO also provides resources for finding funding opportunities.
Important Notice: On Friday, September 12, 2014, the majority of SPO staff will be involved in a regional meeting with sponsored project officers from Stanford University and UCSF. SPO services on this date therefore will be limited to front desk administrative duties. Proposal and award set up activity will resume on Monday, September 15th. Individuals submitting proposals or other time sensitive transactions during this time frame should plan accordingly.
Key Policies and Procedures
- UCB Policy on Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards through SPO/IAO
- VCR Five Day Proposal Submission Policy Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic routing and approval of campus proposals using Phoebe
- Omar Yaghi, Chemistry, $6,000,000, King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, “KACST- UC Berkeley Collaboration on Nanomaterials for Clean Energy Application”
- Michael Y. Frenklach, Mechanical Engineering, $1,957,500, University of Utah, “The UQ-Predictive Multidisciplinary Simulation Center for High Efficiency Electric Power Generation with Carbon Capture”
- David Raulet, MCB, $1,913,914, NIAID, “STING-Dependent Activation of Natural Killer Cells by Viral and Tumor DNA”
- David Schaffer, QB3, $1,710,789, NINDS, “Optogenetic Characterization and Control of Stem Cell Signaling”
- David Schaffer, QB3, $1,657,356, NINDS, “Multivalent Ligands to Control Stem Cell Fate”
- John W. Ellwood, Public Health, $1,600,000, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, “Scholars in Health Policy Research”
Sponsored activities with industry and incoming Material Transfer Agreements are managed by IPIRA.