The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) at the University of California, Berkeley is responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. SPO prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. SPO also provides resources for finding funding opportunities.
SPO Service Schedule March 18, 2015
On Wednesday, March 18, 2015, the majority of Sponsored Projects Office staff will be involved in a regional meeting with sponsored project officers from Stanford University and UCSF. SPO services on this date therefore will be limited to front-desk administrative duties. Proposal and award set-up activity will resume on Thursday, March 19. For the purposes of the VCRO’s five day proposal submission policy, March 18 will not count as a working day. Individuals submitting proposals or other time-sensitive transactions during this time frame should plan accordingly.
Key Policies and Procedures
- UCB Policy on Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards through SPO/IAO
- VCR Five Day Proposal Submission Policy Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic routing and approval of campus proposals using Phoebe
- Barbara J. Meyer, MCB, $2,014,985, NIGMS, “Analysis of Nematode Sex Determination”
- Suzanne M. J. Fleiszig, Optometry, $1,961,771, NEI, “Significance of Corneal Cell Invasion By Bacteria”
- Jitendra Malik, EECS, $1,950,000, Stanford University, “Top-Down and Bottom-up Visual Mechanisms at Multiple Spatial and Temporal Scales: Experimental Investigation and Computational Modeling”
- Joseph W. Orenstein, Physics, $1,800,000, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, “Leading-edge Research to Develop New Experimental and Theoretical Approaches to Studying Quantum Materials with Terahertz Spectroscopy”
- Laura Waller, EECS, $1,500,000, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, “Computational Optical Coherence Imaging with Low-Rank Data”
Sponsored activities with industry and incoming Material Transfer Agreements are managed by IPIRA.